Application for the 10th annual Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest is open for entries to coincide with the birthday of Andrei Stenin, the Rossiya Segodnya photojournalist who was killed on duty in Donbas in 2014.
The contest is a yearly competition run by the Rossiya Segodnya media company to discover emerging talent among photojournalists aged 18 to 33. Sputnik News Agency and Radio are its international media partners.
The 2024 contest will showcase four categories from its previous editions along with a new category ‘View From Above’ for which young photographers can compete for awards:
1. Top News. Important events in the life of individuals and nations as a whole are the main subject of entries in the category: major political and social events; reports from war zones and places struck by natural disasters; and decisive moments in people’s lives.
2. Sports. This category involves entries, that capture moments in sport; victories of athletes and dramatic losses; daily sports training; and the beauty of sports competitions.
3. My Planet. This category involves entries reflecting the entire multicolored palette of topics and images from all over the world. The author’s task is to show an everyday life kaleidoscope in its timeless beauty and harmony, uniting scenes from everyday life; the life of big cities and small towns; nature pictures; and ethnographic and religious holidays.
4. Portrait. A Hero of Our Time. This category involves entries such as individual or group portraits of people. Photos can be documentary and posed. The determining factor in this category is the author’s ability to reveal the inner world of his characters, and express their mental qualities and character through the uniqueness of their appearance and looks as a whole.
5. View From Top. Single photographs taken from a bird’s eye view are accepted in this category. Photographs can depict plants and animals, city life, people, moments from everyday life and sporting events, and abstract imagery. The decisive factor is the shooting angle. Images can be taken using a quadcopter, a photo camera, or a mobile phone camera. We are waiting for breathtaking views and surprising stories.
In each category, there is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize for a single photograph and for a series, respectively.
The top prize is 700,000 rubles ($7,588). The first, second, and third places in the contest will fetch 125,000 rubles, 100,000 rubles, and 75,000 rubles, respectively.
The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest was established on 22 December 2014 by Rossiya Segodnya under the patronage of the Russian Federation’s Commission for UNESCO. It aims to help emerging photographers while also drawing attention to the current issues of reporting. It is a platform for young photographers—talented and sensitive individuals who are open to new experiences—to showcase people and events in their communities.
Visiting through this link- https://stenincontest.com/register/ you may apply for the competition. The deadline for the event is the 15th of March, 2024.